I don’t know about all you readers out there, but whenever I’m faced with the task of celebrating a friend or family member’s milestone, my first feeling is one of sheer panic. It might seem rude at first read but let me explain: I’m sweating bullets over wanting to throw the best party out there—and a baby shower is no exception! There are so many components to include, and so many themes to consider, it can make you nuts during a time when you should feel excited.
Perfectionist or not, I have no doubt that if you’ve found yourself in a similar position, you’ve felt that familiar pang at the outset. There’s no shame in that game! For your friend or family member, this is one of only a few times to truly place the focus on them, and it’s completely normal to want to make the celebration absolutely perfect. That’s why we’ve come up with an easy planning guide for every month of the year to help ease any of the stress and nail every component.
No matter which month or theme you choose, all it takes is five simple steps to get from panic to party in no time! From invitations to food and drinks and even the party favors, we’ve got you covered.
January Baby Shower Theme: Baby It’s Cold Outside
Embrace the chill and throw a winter wonderland themed baby shower in January:
- Send out the perfect sparkly invitation to set the tone for your wintry shower.
- Tie small snowflakes to the strings on white helium-filled balloons to create the illusion of snowfall.
- Set up the ultimate biscuit bar—a comfort food nod to the bun in the oven—and make easy adorable snowmen out of powdered donuts and a few household ingredients!
- Put blankets out to help everyone bundle up while they enjoy a warm cup of slow cooker hot chocolate.
- Send everyone home with a cute bag full of white chocolate popcorn puppy chow.
February Baby Shower Theme: Love Is In The Air
Go with the Valentine’s Day flow and celebrate all things love for your February baby shower:
- Send out a grown-up Valentine to the mom to be’s best friends to let them know about the party.
- Put out a heart-studded spread complete with easy heart-shaped dinner rolls (with marinara and cheese sauce for good measure), then go heavy on the sweets with white chocolate strawberries and adorable Cupid’s arrow marshmallow sticks.
- Celebrate all things romance by hanging garlands from The Little Things‘ Etsy shop around the room!
- Make a batch of Poppin’ Love Potion—it literally pops and fizzes when you add the final ingredient—that everyone will love sipping on.
- Leave out these custom cards for guests to write love notes to the baby or advice for the parents-to-be.
March Baby Shower Theme: Tea Party
Use Alice In Wonderland as your inspiration for a baby shower in March:
- Download and customize your invitations to let everyone know about your tea party baby shower.
- Do as the royals do and serve an assortment of tea sandwiches—you can’t go wrong when Southern Living is providing the recipe—and subtly sweet Earl Grey tea cookies.
- Put together take-home tea bag goodies for guests to continue the party after they’re gone.
- Repurpose a cupcake stand and create a self-serve hot tea bar complete with sugar, mini creamers, and spoons.
- Download the template to put together giant paper flowers to create a DIY photo backdrop that everyone will love posing in front of.
April Baby Shower Theme: April Rain Showers
Put the “shower” in your April baby shower with a rain themed party:
- Send out the forecast of showers with this cute invitation from Meg Ted Design’s Etsy shop.
- Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup shooters are the ultimate rainy day comfort, making them a no-brainer for your April Rain Shower baby shower.
- Serve a simple spread of drinks—sodas, sparkling and flat waters, a few juices, and wine if you like—and let guests garnish with festive iridescent cocktail umbrellas for a pop of color.
- Hang fluffy clouds and rainbow raindrops on a wall or two to really set the stage for the shower.
- Set out a basket of cotton candy clouds for guests to take home and continue enjoying the sweet celebration.
May Baby Shower Theme: May Flower Fiesta
Get into the Cinco de Mayo spirit with a May Flower Fiesta themed baby shower:
- Pop floral baby shower invitations in the mail so guests know when and where to celebrate the mama to be!
- Turn mismatched clear bottles into easy, breezy centerpieces with a few flowers in each.
- Keep in the floral theme and stir up a pitcher of hibiscus mint lemonade garnished with real edible flowers!
- Set up a taco bar with all the fixin’s. For dessert, dip Oreos in white chocolate, then use M&M’s to make flower designs on your creations for a cute and fun treat.
- Help guests embrace their inner child with a flower-shaped piñata!
June Baby Shower Theme: Disco Fever
For a June baby shower, tell everyone to dig up their bell bottoms for a trip back to the disco era:
- Print and send invitations that let everyone know it’s time to hustle for this baby shower.
- Make your own DIY disco ball without breaking a mirror—it will be the ultimate “wow” factor!
- Finger foods make it easy to keep dancing—choose your favorite flatbread recipes from Greatist and let the guests refuel with a slice or two.
- Whip up a bowl of pink cloud punch, AKA your new favorite party dessert!
- Who wouldn’t want to take home a mini disco ball that also happens to be a cup? Your shower guests will love their shiny new drinking vessels.
July Baby Shower Theme: Tropical Hawaiian Luau
July is all about fun, sun, and vacation—celebrate the mom to be with a Hawaiian Luau themed baby shower:
- Hula into your guests’ mailboxes with these tropical invitations and get the party started!
- Embrace the flavors of Hawaii (or something like them) and serve BBQ shrimp with pineapple—sweet with a little kick never hurt anyone—and follow them up with crunchy coconut macaroons.
- Do as the locals do and shake up a batch of Mai Tai mocktails (rum optional)–everyone will fall right into vacation mode.
- Budget at least 24 hours so you can make beautiful crystallized seashells for table decor. They’re easy to make and will impress everyone at the shower.
- Send guests home with hula party poppers to set off in celebration of baby’s arrival!
August Baby Shower Theme: Books & Their Characters
An August baby shower lines up perfectly with back to school and all things books (and their characters):
- Tell your guests to bookmark the date for a literature-themed baby shower with a perfectly-themed invitation.
- Pay homage to the Dr. Seuss classic with Green Eggs and Ham pretzel bites, and serve bacon wrapped peaches in honor of Roald Dahl’s James and the Giant Peach.
- Make a batch of magically-easy Butterbeer to sip on during the shower—because who isn’t a Harry Potter fan?
- Did you know it’s super simple to create handmade wooden signs? This DIY will teach you everything you need so you can make custom signs with iconic children’s book quotes.
- Inspire everyone’s inner reader with a personalized tassel bookmark to take home as a party favor—you can add their name or baby-to-be’s!
September Baby Shower Theme: A Day At The Carnival
Bring back September childhood memories and throw a carnival baby shower:
- Send guests their ticket into the festive baby shower and let them know to bring the circus!
- Gather seasonings and fun toppings to let everyone go to town and create their ultimate batch of snack foods at a DIY popcorn bar.
- Keep everyone ready for the shower games and set out a platter of finger foods like cheesy pigs in a blanket and easy rainbow fruit kabobs.
- Tap into your guests’ creative sides and let them concoct their own flavored sodas at a fully-loaded drink station.
- Give the perfect excuse for goofy photos with a DIY strongman barbell prop—the results will be hilarious!
October Baby Shower Theme: The Great Outdoors
Gather up some pinecones and grab the crock pot for a perfectly outdoorsy October baby shower:
- Set the tone for a baby shower adventure with customizable, downloadable invitations from Etsy.
- Get everyone in a campy mood with traditional fixin’s: crock pot chicken chili (hot dogs encouraged for authenticity) and mini peach cobblers for dessert!
- Put out an assortment of fun mugs and serve hot spiced apple cider for everyone to sip on during the fun.
- Collect pinecones, berries, pine needles, and twigs, then use them to fill up glass jars to use as decor elements like centerpieces or pathway markers.
- Put together mini s’mores kits in small cellophane bags and tie them up with these cute tags announcing baby’s upcoming arrival.
November Baby Shower Theme: Love You To the Moon
Make sure the stars shine bright on the upcoming bundle of joy with a space themed November baby shower:
- Tell your guests that a baby shower is in the stars with a “Love You To The Moon” invitation.
- Use a cookie cutter for easy homemade star-shaped tortilla chips and serve them with a variety of fun and flavorful dips, then for dessert, put out a tray of chocolate-dipped moon pies to stay on theme.
- Give a subtle nod to everyone’s favorite fruity candy with a bubbly bar setup for Starburst Champagne cocktails—complete with a candy garnish, of course.
- Send baby-to-be a welcoming message with a “To The Moon and Back” cutout, using it as a festive prop for a buffet table or as a photo booth backdrop.
- Give each guest a memento they can take everywhere: a custom-etched star keychain with baby’s due date, the baby shower date, or the names of the parents-to-be.
December Baby Shower Theme: Sweet Child Of Mine
How sweet it is to throw a December baby shower! Celebrate all things sweet this month:
- Invite your guests and let them know that a sweet bundle of joy is on the way, and it’s time to celebrate!
- Give clear plastic cups a chocolate-syrup-sprinkle rim, then set up an ice cream bar ready with pre-scooped flavors to keep the ice cream cold and the line moving.
- There’s no drink more simultaneous with sweetness than a glass of juicy strawberry lemonade—it’s perfect for this shower!
- Use these handy DIY instructions to make larger-than-life candy props for photo booths or just to place around your venue as fun decor.
- Set up a candy buffet to send off your guests with a few of the mom to be’s favorite sweet treats!
If there’s one thing you should be doing when a loved one is expecting a bundle of joy, it’s celebrate—not stress. Now that you have an arsenal of twelve turnkey themes in your back pocket, you may just find yourself offering to host a baby shower more often! And, whenever you do wind up in that exciting position, be sure to direct all guests to RegistryFinder.com for easy gifting.
For additional inspiration for baby showers in any month, be sure to check out our Pinterest page full of more party decorations, invitations, recipes and activities. To make shopping for the shower easy on you, visit our Amazon Store.